Re: Reporter style writing versus technical writing -- GRAMMATICAL QUESTION

Subject: Re: Reporter style writing versus technical writing -- GRAMMATICAL QUESTION
From: Nicole Salisbury-Gaumont <nicole -dot- gaumont -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: sphilip <philstokes03 -at- googlemail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 14:58:59 +0100

Discourse analysis is a required component when you study literature in
France. I remember being amazed at how much emotional value is added to
language in something seemingly as simple as verb tense.

Newspapers are not netural: they don't just state the facts; they present
the facts in such a way that the readership will accept the message as fact
because it fits with their view of the world. The editorial staff know
exactly what they are doing to get people to keep reading that specific
newspaper.

In this case, using past present perfect continuous imbibes a sense of
tradition and builds a practice/product/service/company as 'the done thing'
that you should also participate in:
Families have been using the swimming pool since its grand opening. (and
you should too)

or it paints adds drama and poignancy to 'sad' stories:
The number of families living under the poverty line has been increasing in
this city since the July 2007. (and it's going to keep getting worse)

Innit.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help