Re: SharePoint Wiki

Subject: Re: SharePoint Wiki
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: john rosberg <john_rosberg -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 08:13:04 -0700

[John Rosberg is seeking others with experience using Sharepoint Wiki]

The pros: It's available, it works, it has a WYSIWYG editor, syntax is
easy, references to pages (usually) follow if you change the page name in
the file system.

The cons: Uploading images takes two steps, it won't let you link to name
anchors without including the complete page URL, generated HTML is not
structured so it is unusable when copying/pasting to other systems, the
author cannot create web parts to generate automatic tables of contents.

While you can edit in the HTML editor, with the host of other options, why
should you have to?

I much preferred an internally hosted MediaWiki with the TinyMCE WYSIWYG
editor plugin. Unfortunately our office was chained to IE7 (don't ask--we
just this month upgraded to IE8). TinyMCE worked well for creating pages,
but when you edited a page and saved it, it saved a blank page.

I've also had success with TWiki--and its open source fork FOSWiki. The
benefit of MediaWiki and T/FOS-Wiki is the library of free plugins you can
add to make magic happen. Sharepoint is too closed, and IT admins don't
like to give Admin permissions so we can explore.

Hope this helps,
-Tony

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help