RE: Usage question - "... un-initialized state" or "... an uninitialized state"

Subject: RE: Usage question - "... un-initialized state" or "... an uninitialized state"
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Wanda Phillips <wetcoastwriter -at- me -dot- com>, Lynne Wright <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- tiburoninc -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 13:15:55 -0400

No.
The product arrives at the initial customer, from us, in not-initialized state, which we called un-initialized.
Customers can use the product where they receive it, or ship it off to their own country-wide or world-wide business units, or ship onward to THEIR customers if that's their business model.

The customer often takes the product out of the box and performs their own qualification and other actions-upon-receiving. They might wish to set up certain aspects of the product to conform to their business model, before they put the product into service OR ship it to other departments/BUs to put into service, OR ship to their customers.

A decision that they make, before they ship out to another location (or to one of their customers) is whether the product should be initialized first, or whether it should arrive at its final destination in un-initialized state and undergo final setup at the location where it is to spend its working life. For example, network setup is often best left to the people at the ultimate destination (though there are exceptions). Initialization of the encryption engine is sometimes best performed before shipping, but in other circumstances is best left for a ceremony at the place where it will be used. Sometimes it is desirable to lock down aspects of logging before the product is shipped. Other times it doesn't matter, since only the local people at the receiving end will care. It depends on the business model of our customer, and the product allows all sorts of flexibility. We don't suggest one way or the other. The customer's situation, need, and general approach suggest what they should do.

The initialization to which I refer is separate from other aspects of the product, where there can be clear best-practices to recommend. Not the case, here.

If "wish" is an offensive term in some societies, I could change that to "you might choose..." ?
Or you might prefer. Or you might decide.

I've always wanted to use "grok" in technical documentation... haven't found just the right situation yet..... yet.... :-)

If you fully grok the situation, the decision makes itself.

or disclosing it.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help