RE: Referring to a figure or table - without using numbers

Subject: RE: Referring to a figure or table - without using numbers
From: "Margaret Cekis" <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "'Martinek, Carla'" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 12:41:05 -0500

Carla Martinek asked about: referring to a figure or table - without using
numbers.
____________________________
I would do this only in a document that has only a few figures or tables.
Otherwise, I'd figure out a way to number them or label them for easy
reference. As Leonard said, you'd have to indicate whether the reference is
a figure or table, and give both the title and page number. You can't always
count on the hyperlinks working, especially when the IT department is very
security conscious and inactivates hyperlinks, even within the same
reference document,.
As a general rule, I find referring to figures and tables by number much
easier than using titles. I also as a matter of cause add a List of Tables
and a List of Figures (with numbers, titles, and page numbers) to the front
matter of any PDF manual that will potentially be viewed online --or
printed.
Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA

Writer Tip: Create 10 different outputs with Doc-To-Help -- including Mobile and EPUB.

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-10-outputs