Re: Back again.... looking...

Subject: Re: Back again.... looking...
From: Ken Poshedly <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
To: Robin Davidson <robin -at- robinsdesigns -dot- net>, Erika Yanovich <ERIKA_y -at- rad -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 05:58:17 -0800 (PST)

Having been through scads of downsizings (layoffs, firings, etc in my 46-year
work career so far), there are any number of reasons and all you can do is call
it what it is -- management reorganization (i.e., management "reorganized" you
out the door).

Here in Atlanta, there was once a very large local high tech company that had a
reputation for chewing up and spitting its people out like crazy. One story I
heard from a former engineer there (back in the late 1980s) was that a certain
unpopular manager there either quit or was terminated, and because of the bad
feelings towards him (or her?), all of that former manager's staff were also
cut. I have no way to verify this, but it fit with the other stories I had
heard of how people were figuratively used-and-abused there. That company was
later purchased and is now owned by a much larger global hi-tech company is now
said to be a MUCH happier place to work.

In other cases, a new manager comes in and literally plays favorites (that's
what happened at one of my former employers).

Sometimes, you go into a company and don't know ahead of time that it's a very
hostile work environment. If so, document, document, document.

Even here in Georgia -- a notoriously business-friendly state where businesses
LOVE to relocate to but which continues to have a jobless rate well above other
states -- you don't have to be a doormat. My sister told me of a former
coworker who quit, due to the absolutely terrible treatment only she got from
the supervisor. (My sister told me the examples, and it was pretty obvious.) My
sister's former coworker filed for unemployment benefits, citing the hostile
work environment. At first, the company fought the claim, but when the state
investigated further, it found in the claimant's favor. It's true that this
doesn't happen that often, but it DOES happen.(I still wonder why my sister's
company allowed the problem manager to continue working there.)

And sometimes, there are actual business/financial reasons. It's just always a
BIG secret.

Let the flames begin . . .

-- Kenpo in Atlanta