RE: Upload/Download -- definition

Subject: RE: Upload/Download -- definition
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: William Sherman <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 12:03:20 -0500

When your product encompasses both sides of the transaction, it necessarily looks at a file transfer from both the server side (probably an administrator needs to deal with this) and the client (supplicant?) or requestor side. Probably a product user needs to deal with that. There would be no problem with your method as long as the docs for end users are separate from the docs for admins.

If they are together, then you could get around the problem by adding a directional qualifier to each statement "uploads to the..." , "downloads from the ...".

But I still don't think that a file server (singular) or the cloud (bunch of file servers) "uploads" to me.
In my little world, I upload to them, from any of my various devices, and they download to me (or I download FROM them). So I'm in the camp that has a size/complexity bias AND in the camp that has a directional bias.

As somebody else suggested, simplify with "transfer from __ to __", then it doesn't matter who is where, who instigates, who spent more money on their equipment, etc.

Or.... how about good-old "get" and "put" (it's been a while, and those terms dealt with register contents, but still... ).

This horse stopped twitching some time ago, didn't it?