Recruiting dilemma

Subject: Recruiting dilemma
From: john rosberg <john_rosberg -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 08:15:20 -0600

Chris -- let me add to the good advice you've already received -- use Linkedin or your list of professional contacts to find some way to contact a live body within the company . . . the briefest word in a hallway or elevator can get your resume in front of the hiring manager, no matter what route it took to get inside the walls (recruiter or direct application). Best of luck in your search John > Subject: Recruiting dilemma

> Having been with my present employer 4-1/2 years, I'm a senior techwriter
> who received an unsolicited email from a young recruiter last Friday. The
> salutation read, *"Hi there..."*. Having been jerked around by too many of
> these types over the course of my career, I was initially put off by this
> impersonal/unprofessional approach but decided to reply. It turns out that
> the job *is* of interest for these reasons: salary, location and security.
> I can guess that the health insurance coverage is better, too. The employer
> is a major player in this state.
>
> Over the weekend I invested several hours customizing my resume and
> drafting a purposeful (T-form) cover letter. Along with a third doc
> representing professional endorsements that relate to the open position,
> these I sent to the recruiter on Sunday afternoon. I then phoned her
> yesterday morning and, when inquiring about receipt confirmation, was told,
> "Oh.... I have a ton of emails and haven't gotten to yours yet." I also had
> to remind her who I was and the position for which she had initially
> solicited *me* (no big deal here, although I could just envision her being
> more concerned about the length of her nails than about my inquiry.) In
> viewing her LinkedIn profile, it's clear that this gal is very young; I'm
> guessing that her recruiting career aspirations don't command her attention
> weekdays.
>
> This morning I went to the website of the hiring party and saw that the
> position is advertised there, along with a method to apply directly. I'm
> really tempted to try an end-run here, as I've not heard boo from the
> recruiter.
>
> Your thoughts?

John Rosberg

Documentation and Training

john_rosberg -at- hotmail -dot- com

2765 Deerfield Road

Riverwoods, IL 60015

847-502-1833

> Message: 8
> Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 13:08:34 -0800
> From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
> To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Chris

STC Vice President Nicky Bleiel is giving a free webinar on best practices
for creating mobile help.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/WNaCzd