Re: Recruiting dilemma

Subject: Re: Recruiting dilemma
From: Laura Lemay <lemay -at- lauralemay -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 11:00:08 -0800

Yeah, but.

The thing about recruiting these days is that it is entirely a numbers game. It is all boiler room phone banks and high pressure make-the-sale work. A recruiter in that situation, even if they understand US geography just fine, loses nothing by sending out form-letter jobs for Minnesota to people in California -- sure, 99.9% of the time nothing will happen, but perhaps there is that .01% of people who will bite because they have family or need work or whatever. It's just barely one step above spam.

This is also why I often get contacted six or seven times by different recruiters with the same job, within days. It's totally scattershot.

I have stopped even replying to the vast majority of recruiter emails and phone calls because it is clear these are low-paid workers with little knowledge of the industry or deep connections with the client company they are contracted with. I've also stopped being offended by jobs that are in the wrong state, that are not technical writer jobs, or that pay minimum wage. It's not worth the energy. The phone banker doesn't care if you are offended; they have another fifty leads they have to generate today.

On the other hand, the nice thing about phone bank recruiting is that when you actually run into an actual company recruiter or a pro recruiter, it is abundantly clear that they are human, that they care, and that they understand the jobs and the market they are working in.

Laura