Re: Screen shots and drawn-in circles - tip

Subject: Re: Screen shots and drawn-in circles - tip
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, <Becky -dot- Scott -at- dart -dot- biz>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 07:21:17 -0800

I found MS Word horribly buggy when I tried to use its drawing
tool to put circles into the screen shots...it kept causing the screen
shots to jump to another part of the page!

The issue of jumping screenshots is perhaps related to the anchoring properties of your circles. I experienced similar issues when I first began working with adding callouts within Word (so that they could be translated with the doc, as someone else mentioned). If you look at the Format Auto Shape dialog boxes, in the Layout > Advanced > Picture Position option (this is in Word 2007; the actual path to the right dialog box might differ in different versions of Word), you'll see a "Lock anchor" option, along with related position options. Be sure to select the "Lock anchor" and "Move object with text" options, and then be sure that you've "anchored" your circle to either the screenshot para marker or the accompanying caption para marker.

I found it a challenge to get to settings that always worked no matter whether the screenshot was the first, last, or some other paragraph, and what worked for me (given how I have my para styles defined) was to have all 4 options (Move object with text, Lock anchor, allow overlap, and Layout in table cell) selected and to tie the callout (which is treated just as any other auto shape, such as a circle) to the screenshot's accompanying caption paragraph. The caption paragraph was "tied" to the screenshot (because the screenshot para style had Keep with Next chosen), and the caption always had the same amount of space before and after it (unlike the screenshot, which would vary depending on whether it was at the top of a page or not).

So complicated to get working in a repeatable fashion, but *not* a Word bug.

(If you want a detailed discussion and the excitement of discovery (!), search the TechWR-L archives for the following thread: '"migrating" anchored callouts - Word 2007' from May 9, 2012.)

HTH,
-Monique

EPUB Webinar: Join STC Vice President Nicky Bleiel as she discusses tips for creating EPUB, the file format used for e-readers, tablets, smartphones, and more.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/12LyN2z