RE: What graphics tasks do you perform?

Subject: RE: What graphics tasks do you perform?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- M-S-G -dot- com>, 'Nancy Allison' <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 15:22:52 -0500

One of my most likely graphic tasks is to create/modify my own diagrams for how a feature works or how our (hardware-and-software) product fits into a customer operational scenario - a combination of a flow chart and the kinds of icons that you'd see in a PowerPoint presentation.

I've used Visio, various draw programs, and even GIMP or PhotoShop (or Paint.NET or Paint or...)

I also spend time separating photos of hardware bits from backgrounds, because I don't have a white-box to eliminate shadows... or I might be photographing against a busy background. I could use some good, pointed instructions on how to quickly, easily mask desired objects (that aren't a single color) from their backgrounds (that also aren't a single color).

Then I'll do a bit of lightening, dodging, etc., to highlight the relevant bits... or to de-emphasize the less relevant bits.

Screencaps are pretty straightforward for me, an activity covered by FastStone Capture (previously I used an ancient copy of SnagIt).

I'll probably think of other graphic things that I do, as soon as I hit [Send].