Re: Do as I say, not as I do

Subject: Re: Do as I say, not as I do
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: <peter -at- knowhowpro -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 12:10:54 -0500

The amount of money wasted stuck in traffic is staggering. A recent study shows $121 billion is wasted.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/study-commuters-wasted-time-traffic-003919927.html

As to company costs, they save a lot really, but ONLY if it is full time telecommuting, not the one day every two weeks sort of thing.

1. Reduced office space. Instead of office space for 1000 employees, they may need it for 50. Of course, then their headquarter building doesn't look so grand.

2. Less energy costs. Lights, heating , air conditioning, water, and so on for 50 people is much less than 1000.

3. Less building costs. A 1000 space parking lot is an environmental nightmare in some locations, so they need nearly the same amount of green space (grass, trees, plants) so instead of 10 acres of asphalt and 10 acres of grass, they could have 1 acre total. Now multiply by the price of prime real estate.

4. Insurance. Insuring against the issues of employees sick or hurt on company property is not cheap. But if they are at home, you don't have to.

5. You get more work out of them, if they are truly working. Unfortunately, many part-time telecommuters view it as an extra vacation day. But those fulltime ones frequently put in 45 and 50 hours, all while being paid only 40 hours.

6. Absenteeism is much less. Many don't go to work because a kid is sick or they are waiting for a delivery or a friend to show up or whatever. But if you work from home, you are with that sick kid AND still working. The 15 minutes away from the desk when that delivery guy shows up is much less than the 8 to 12 pm you are gone for the typical service delivery.

If the company does the one day telecommuting, they have eliminate none of the expenses and only added some. That is why it doesn't work. You'd think those guys with MBAs would understand that, but they don't.

Internet access in most homes are to the point that business can easily be handled. I've worked from home in lots of teleconferences with video since 2000. Back then, I was the first on the block with DSL and one of the few individuals who had high speed Internet access in town. There were lots of T1 lines, but for companies. I had full access to the documentation control servers and to any other server I needed. The only thing that didn't work was an IP phone. As I passed from Sprint into AT&T on the way to work, AT&T put a massive slowdown on the access times. As such, IP phone was more like CB radio - talk, wait, listen, wait, talk, wait, etc. It was hardly duplex. If I routed through Europe and around the world, I was just as fast or faster.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Erika Yanovich" <ERIKA_y -at- rad -dot- com>