Re: Telecommuting ( was: Do as I say, not as I do )

Subject: Re: Telecommuting ( was: Do as I say, not as I do )
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 13:49:56 -0500

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 13:11:33 -0500, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:

If there's a crunch on I can spend more time at work, but when I'm not at work I'd rather be not working.

Indeed, this is the problem of all who work where family or family problems are allowed to interrupt work. We should not have to give abrupt dismissal to our families when we appear to be available to help them.

I live on a farm, and caring for the animals trumps many other things. I can set aside time that is strictly "work" time, but if the sheriff comes to the door and says, "Your horse is out on the road," I'll go and investigate. It's nearly always one of my neighbor's horses, but regardless, there's an hour or two gone, spent catching and penning the loose horse. It's a good situation, though. Not all of the officers in the sheriff's department know how to catch a horse. For instance, chasing it with flashing lights and siren does not quite work. I can catch almost anyone's horse simply, quietly, and more-or-less quickly. I think it's related to my skill at interviewing SMEs without annoying them very much. The principles were put forth by Xenophon quite some time ago.

If I'm away from home (interviewing loose SMEs?), then someone else has to catch the horse.
EPUB Webinar: Join STC Vice President Nicky Bleiel as she discusses tips for creating EPUB, the file format used for e-readers, tablets, smartphones, and more.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/12LyN2z