Re: The Case Against Working at Home

Subject: Re: The Case Against Working at Home
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 10:25:04 -0800

The value of physical presence is often underestimated. At one company I worked with for an extended contract, the VP who hired me warned me that nailing down developers for input would be a problem. As luck would have it, at the time they signed me on they were also moving into a new building, so I asked where the nearest restrooms were to the area where the developers would be sitting and asked to be located there. You just can't get that kind of ambush capability working remotely.

Gene Kim-Eng

On 2/28/2013 9:45 AM, Janoff, Steven wrote:

This is worth a read:

Yahoo Flap Misses The Bigger Point

http://www.informationweek.com/global-cio/interviews/yahoo-flap-misses-the-bigger-point/240149694

Most important quote:

"As the company said in a statement on Tuesday, amid the backlash: 'This isn't a broad industry view on working from home -- this is about what is right for Yahoo, right now.'"

EPUB Webinar: Join STC Vice President Nicky Bleiel as she discusses tips for creating EPUB, the file format used for e-readers, tablets, smartphones, and more.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/12LyN2z