RE: Who is an ESL writer?

Subject: RE: Who is an ESL writer?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Slager Timothy J <Timothy -dot- Slager -at- dematic -dot- com>, John Allred <john2 -at- allrednet -dot- com>, Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 18:19:22 -0400

If I cared to pursue that line of thought, I would wonder how many places in the world got their exposure to English before it had picked up so much of its vocabulary from French.

Seems to me that almost any place - that isn't England - had a flavor[u]r of English imported that had already well-and-truly integrated the contribution of William and his gang.

IOW, finding somebody whose brand of English was NOT peppered with French-and-Latin-derived vocabulary would be unlikely. So minimizing such words would leave great gaping holes in what those ESL readers expect, just as it would in what we expect when we read English.

-k