OT: Adobe and the "Font Wars"

Subject: OT: Adobe and the "Font Wars"
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:35:15 -0700

Many of you may remember the former *InfoWorld* gossip columnist, Robert X.
Cringely, and his book *Accidental Empires*, recently republished in serial
format by way of his website. In view of of all of the back and forth
regarding FrameMaker and Adobe's (lack of) attention to this product, I
present a link to one pertinent installment entitled "Font Wars".

http://www.cringely.com/2013/03/14/accidental-empires-chapter-11-font-wars/

I've been mixed up in all of this pretty much from the beginning, having
initially been faced with the choice between Ventura Publisher running with
the GEM UI, and the brand-new Aldus PageMaker 1.0a with Windows Runtime. I
initially went with VP, built immediately returned it and went with
PageMaker. Operating in 100% bleeding edge mode at the time and running on
an AST Premium 286, I had one of the first QMS laser printers with built-in
PostScript fonts and a flatbed scanner that performed OCR.

After nabbing a "Desktop Publishing" cover story with *Cadence* magazine (a
trade rag aimed at the AutoCAD crowd), a few years later I was mixing it up
with Brian *Windows Secrets* Livingston and a whole crew of Ziff-Davis
folks.

All the while, I had no idea I'd end up as a technical writer for numerous
outfits, including a three-year stint at HP during the Carly Fiorina rein.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/13xpg5n