RE: Customized PDF with User Name

Subject: RE: Customized PDF with User Name
From: Gabrielle Kirsch <G -dot- Kirsch -at- F5 -dot- com>
To: Paul Hanson <twer_lists_all -at- hotmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 17:43:13 +0000

Paul-

You pretty much got it. It was intended as a security measure. These are highly confidential documents, so we were looking for a way to track each instance of the document to protect our intellectual property. The watermark was placed on every page (not just the first). If the user downloaded the document and then left it behind, it would have their name striped across the each page and the document could be traced back to them.

Of course there were workarounds and if someone REALLY wanted to remove their name it wouldn't be that hard. But it helped "keep honest people honest."

Problem was, these were a few documents accessed by a limited group of users. So this requirement was not seen as a high priority when switching systems. And we did have some valid reasons for moving away from Savo. I am now doing this work manually (using an Acrobat batch process) but this is not a scalable solution I would like to find an automated process.