Re: RSS feed: interpreting XML

Subject: Re: RSS feed: interpreting XML
From: Mark Giffin <mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 10:52:59 -0700

Craig,

Your questions remind me of when I decided I wanted to use RSS feeds. There were no instructions I could find that just got right to the point and said "In your feed reader, enter the URL to the RSS feed you want and hit Enter. Then you won't have to deal with the raw XML."

I have also discovered that I can often just enter the URL of a site that has a feed (not the specific RSS feed URL itself), and the feed reader somehow figures it out and subscribes me to the RSS feed.

Mark

On 5/22/13 10:27 AM, Fred Ridder wrote:

The first three paragraphs of the Wikipedia article on RSS summarises the process quite nicely. I've highlighted the crucial step.

RSS Rich Site Summary (originally RDF Site Summary, often dubbed
Really Simple Syndication) is a family of web feed formats used to
publish frequently updated works—such as blog entries, news
headlines, audio, and video—in a standardized format. An RSS
document (which is called a "feed", "web feed", or "channel")
includes full or summarized text, plus metadata such as publishing
dates and authorship.

RSS feeds benefit publishers by letting them syndicate content
automatically. A standardized XML file format allows the
information to be published once and viewed by many different
programs. They benefit readers who want to subscribe to timely
updates from favorite websites or to aggregate feeds from many
sites into one place.

RSS feeds can be read using software called an "RSS reader", "feed
reader", or "aggregator", which can be web-based, desktop-based,
or mobile-device-based. *The user subscribes to a feed by entering
into the reader the feed's URI or by clicking a feed icon in a web
browser that initiates the subscription process. *The RSS reader
checks the user's subscribed feeds regularly for new work,
downloads any updates that it finds, and provides a user interface
to monitor and read the feeds. RSS allows users to avoid manually
inspecting all of the websites they are interested in, and instead
subscribe to websites such that all new content is automatically
checked for and advertised by their browsers as soon as it is
available.

And http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_feed_aggregators provides a list of RSS readers, plus rudimentary and largely incomplete comparisons of features and capabilities

> From: ccardimon -at- M-S-G -dot- com
> To: mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net
> Subject: RE: RSS feed: interpreting XML
> Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 17:21:40 +0000
> CC: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
> So how does one use a page of XML code with Feedly?

From our sponsor Doc-to-Help: Want to see a Doc-To-Help web-based Help sample with DISQUS for user commenting?

Learn more: http://bit.ly/13xpg5n