Re: bouncing back from interview disappointment (WAS: Advice needed for an upcoming interview)

Subject: Re: bouncing back from interview disappointment (WAS: Advice needed for an upcoming interview)
From: Robert Courtney <bobsc1 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- TECHWR-L -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 20:24:00 -0700

Anne,

I do agree with you on your thoughts. I am looking for work again myself. In my local area and it seems that the companies are not realistic in their job request, already have someone, or you have several people now applying for the same job. I have great background and bring good skills to them.

I wish you (not Anne but the original poster) the best in looking for that job. As I am also. Don't lose hope. Best way to a job is networking. And I am networking. But, still having issues getting in the door. After all, I am not 25 anymore. But, I have a good background.

Bobby

On 5/28/2013 8:26 AM, Anne Robotti wrote:

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Anonymous <anonymous -at- techwhirl -dot- com> wrote:

How doe one bounce back from this kind of disappointment? What can be
learned from it? Am I barking up the wrong career tree?

Well, I think that after two interviews in this economy is a little soon to
be questioning your life and career choices. Dude. Come on. Don't take
yourself so seriously.

I have fifteen years of tech writing experience, and if I do say so myself
I interview like an ace. Until 2007 I had *never* been on an interview
where I wasn't offered the job on the spot. This past time I went on twelve
interviews. And here's the thing. The employer has the whole picture -
something you can never have. They know things about their team, about
their work, about their environment, that you don't. If they don't think
you're a fit, they're right, and they're doing you a favor by not hiring
you.

I know how it feels to think you really nailed it and then not get the job.
And the days when you could expect any constructive feedback are gone with
the wind. But you have to think about the current pool of available writers
for even entry-level jobs. People that never would have considered a job
seven years ago will apply because they need it. So companies are in a
position where they can get a lot more experience and expertise for their
money. A friend of mine told me recently that it's not unusual to get
seventy resumes for a tech writer opening. (This is Telecom, so it may vary
by industry.)

There are three possible reasons why you didn't get the job:

1. You sucked on the interview and they hated you.
2. You were awesome on the interview but someone else with more experience
and better skills was also awesome, and they got it.
3. You were awesome on the interview but for one reason or another weren't
right for the job.

You've already pretty much eliminated (1.) - the other two are out of your
control. So get back out there and find the job you ARE perfect for!

Anne
>From our sponsor Doc-to-Help: Want to see a Doc-To-Help web-based Help sample with DISQUS for user commenting?

Learn more: http://bit.ly/13xpg5n

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as bobsc1 -at- earthlink -dot- net -dot-

-----
No virus found in this message.

From our sponsor Doc-to-Help: Want to see a Doc-To-Help web-based Help sample with DISQUS for user commenting?

Learn more: http://bit.ly/13xpg5n