Re: Contract work - 1099 or W-2?

Subject: Re: Contract work - 1099 or W-2?
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: beelia -at- pacbell -dot- net
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 14:50:33 -0700

CA has eight companies signed up so far, though only one seems to be offering the PPO coverage I prefer. The big companies that aren't participating are one that do most of their business on the corporate level and are not active in the individual policy market, so it's not surprising that they aren't there. The rates quoted are actually lower than were being predicted. CA is a huge market, and the companies seem to be anxious to grab market share.

My wife is now on Medicare and an AARP supplemental, so her coverage is no longer an issue. For anyone who has yet to experience Medicare, it is far and away a lower stress experience than any private insurer we have ever dealt with.

Gene Kim-Eng

On 5/30/2013 12:52 PM, beelia wrote:

Hi Gene

Hope the insurance problem clears up for you with "Covered California". I think enrollment starts in October, but doesn't take effect until January 1st. But what the insurance companies are going to do as far as fair rates is still up for grabs. Some big companies, like Cigna and Aetna, are not even going to participate, and the rumor is that there's going to be a limited market with only a few companies, and that might mean they can jack up rates. But at least you will no longer be excluded because of pre-existing conditions.

I'm about to be covered by Medicare, so that consideration is one reason I'm considering 1099.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ