RE: Why is so hard to for majority Chinese companies to take documentation seriously?

Subject: RE: Why is so hard to for majority Chinese companies to take documentation seriously?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Moshe Kruger (AllWrite)" <moshe -dot- kruger -at- gmail -dot- com>, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 12:11:19 -0400

I love this discussion.

It's a lot of "stuff you really kinda knew" before, but brought together and presented cogently by people who have been in those particular trenches.

I would have liked to be a fly on the wall for some of the interactions between the Germans and the Chinese.
Do you know if many of the German engineers and managers died or were sidelined due to apoplexy? :-)

Also, what was the eventual outcome, in terms of quality of both product/solution and the documentation thereto?

Were there any cultural "breakthrough" moments? If so, upon what actions or insights did they hinge?
Or did the whole morass just limp along and never resolve to anyone's satisfaction?

<ahem coffHuweicoffcoff> ?

Strangely, some of the best and most conscientious engineers and the most anal (and therefore very effective) testers I've encountered have been Chinese, both fresh-off-the-boat and of longer tenure here in North America. A dev-team leader, and one of our test engineers, both of whom I depend on daily to give me clear, insightful info, are cases in point. I'm writing from a Canadian branch office (development) of a small multi-national. But, both in this gig and a previous one, I've peripherally encountered some of the cultural issues you describe when dealing with the Middle Kingdom itself.

So, either certain parts of the culture wash off quickly when the people are transplanted, or else the people who choose to transplant are less firmly imbued with those aspects of the culture.
Anyway, so far, so good, at this end.