Re: Punctuation in quotes -- American style

Subject: Re: Punctuation in quotes -- American style
From: Richard Hamilton <dick -at- rlhamilton -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L Writers <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 09:50:46 -0700

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the suggestions. You are, of course, exactly correct on reader expectations, though it is nice to know that I can deal with reader expectations unencumbered by management craziness (or at least craziness caused by anyone but me:-).

At the risk of derailing the discussion, I wonder if you or any of the other folks on the list have a favorite among the various IT-industry style guides? Back when I was managing a writing group, I was familiar the Microsoft and Sun guides, and I liked the Sun guide, mostly because I was working in a Unix/Linux shop. But, it's been a few years, and I'd be curious as to whether there is a current favorite. Or is the industry too diverse to settle on a favorite?

Best regards,
Richard

On Aug 19, 2013, at 7:20 PM, Stuart Burnfield wrote:

> Hi Richard -
>
>> BTW, regarding Gene's note on style guides, this book is being published
>> by my company, so beyond bowing in the general direction of the
>> Chicago Manual of Style, as corporate overlord I do whatever I want:-).
>
> That's true, though it can't hurt to know what relevant style guides say, as they influence readers' expectations.
>
> This is what IBM Style has to say. I expect the style guides for other IT-industry publishers such as Microsoft, Apple, Sun and O'Reilly would have similar advice.

-------
XML Press
XML for Technical Communicators
http://xmlpress.net