Re: SD Times: Tech Writers Should Be Pigs, Not Chickens

Subject: Re: SD Times: Tech Writers Should Be Pigs, Not Chickens
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 08:59:48 -0700

Whatever development method you use there are tradeoffs between
features and deadlines. You want more features, it will take longer.
You want it sooner, which features can you do without? Sure, we can
add X, but the ship date's going to slip. Switching from waterfall to
agile doesn't change that.

The ranked backlog approach in most agile methods gives stakeholders
more control over engineering priorities and helps them understand the
tradeoffs necessary to reach short- and long-term goals. Short
iterations make it clear how much progress is being made and help
stakeholders make more realistic decisions about tradeoffs.

It's definitely a cultural change, but it's for the better, and in the
long run the developers are more efficient.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ