Re: Tools statistics

Subject: Re: Tools statistics
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: Shawn C <shawn -at- convergent -dot- io>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 16:28:55 -0700

>From "Creating Single-Source Images" in Flare's online help:

"Let's say you create a Flare project and you are using Capture to
produce images for it. You want to generate two different outputs from
that Flare project. Let's say the first output is an online Help
system to be placed on a website, and the other output is a PDF
document, which you will send to a printer. Right away, you have a
dilemma when it comes to the DPI (dots per inch) setting for the
images in your project. The typical DPI setting for images displayed
in an Internet browser is usually somewhere between 72 and 96. The DPI
is automatically set for online output when you capture the image,
depending on the computer that you are using. However, the DPI setting
for printed output often needs to be higher (say, 300 DPI). Therefore,
when you edit the image in Capture, you use the Format tab in the
Image Properties dialog to specify the image settings for the online
output (you may elect not to change any of the default settings). For
print-based output, you use the Flare Print Format tab to specify the
image settings; in the DPI field, you may want to select 300. In
Flare, you insert the Capture image. When you generate output for the
website (e.g., WebHelp), Flare displays the image in the DPI used when
you captured the image (e.g., 96 DPI). When you generate the PDF
output from the project, Flare displays the same image in 300 DPI. "

This is nonsense. The DPI of screen shots in PDFs should usually be
similar to the PPI of a computer screen, which is typically 72 to 96.
If you set it to 300 DPI for PDF, the images would be tiny and you'd
have to zoom in to 3-400% to read the text in the screen shot.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ