RE: RoboHelp: Applying a template

Subject: RE: RoboHelp: Applying a template
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Stan Burnett <stanb -at- xmission -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 10:30:16 -0400

Probably similar to any HAT.
If you've rigorously avoided any spot-formatting, then CSS and master pages would mostly have you covered.

Of course, if any of the new styles, or the new master pages uses graphic elements that were not part of the previous look, then you'll need those to be findable in your project.

If any styles in your current/existing project have names different from any styles in the new look, then you'll need to update/re-apply styles to affected text and objects.
If the differences are consistent, then it should be easy to automate the switch, either with a function of your HAT, or with an external tool like FAR[T] or similar.

If any styles or features that you used (like, say, Expanding/Dropdown text) don't have an equivalent in the new regime, then you'll need to go through your docset and do some re-writing. That's not to say that the feature won't work after you change stylesheets, but simply that it might not be acceptable to use it anymore. For example, if you were doing exclusively WebHelp/HTML output, and now you must also produce PDFs, what does Dropdown text become? It'll still work fine in WebHelp or XHTML output, but it might look really ugly in PDF, depending on how you used it.