OT: The state of journalism

Subject: OT: The state of journalism
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 14:14:13 -0700

.

> As for AP and Reuters... do they matter?
> The guides were intended for use by print journalists, and if the evidence
> of the past couple of decades is any indication, serial commas and and/ors
> are the least of the editorial problems at most newspapers. The biggest
> problem seems to be a complete lack of budget or interest in copy editing
> or proof reading. Fact-checking is not far behind on the descent into the
> rat-hole.

Copy editing and proofreading takes *far* too much time when one is trying
to first to post a story on the web. And fact-checking? Hah!

I represent the sixth generation of my family to be involved in publishing
at a management or near-mgmt level. We sold off our last group of papers in
the mid-'80s, and now watch with sadness as McClatchy tries to keep our
former flagship title alive.

The problems of which you cite are everywhere, however, and I find it
particularly appalling to see these errors at places that were once
standard-bearers, e.g., the *New York Times* and the *Wall Street Journal*.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ