RE: Using tables for content

Subject: RE: Using tables for content
From: Slager Timothy J <Timothy -dot- Slager -at- dematic -dot- com>
To: Haim Roman <haim -dot- roman -at- gmail -dot- com>, "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- ga -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 19:10:14 +0000

I was once required to use tables for documenting software for a customer in a highly regulated industry. The table included:
- Step number
- Step
- Expected result

The expected result for each step was interesting, and generally helpful. The field was not required, but if something happened when you followed the step, then you filled that field.
1. Click A. The B window opens.
2. Enter X into the Y field.
3. Press ENTER. The gizmo galumphs.

The table format was helpful for writing, since I was forced to consider consequences of each step (as one always should) and for the user, who could count on expected results being posted. I'm sure it could have been done without a table, but I can't say the table detracted and my lasting impression was that it worked rather well. That said, we don't normally use tables for procedures.

tims