RE: Saying "why do this" (was RE: tableT woes (was RE: Using

Subject: RE: Saying "why do this" (was RE: tableT woes (was RE: Using
From: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 02:57:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hooray Mr. McLaughlan!  This is exactly the issue today, and it's got lots to do with older generation writers giving instruction to younger digital natives.  We're in a transition, and would do well to acknowledge it.  Anyway, you're all invited to my place for a party.  To get there:

If you're leaving from work, exit the front of the building where you work.
If you're leaving home, exit your home.
If you work at home, perform the same step you would perform if leaving from home.

Enter your car on the driver's side.
If your car is locked (the usual case), remove your key and unlock the car door. Otherwise, simple open the car door.

Insert the ignition key.

Paying attention to the transmission and accelerator pedal, (make sure the car is in neutral, or for automatic transmissions it can also be in Park) turn the key forward to start the car's engine.

And one long and drawn out etcetera...

Kevin says:
[snip...]
To me, the mentality that says "don't include explanation of options with instruction" is the same mentality that has SO many hover-text/tool-tips that repeat the name of the button or checkbox being hovered, with no additional info.  [must suppress urge to kill...]

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ