RE: icon to indicate a feature is different on different products

Subject: RE: icon to indicate a feature is different on different products
From: "Margaret Cekis" <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "'rebecca officer'" <rebecca -dot- officer -at- alliedtelesis -dot- co -dot- nz>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 12:19:15 -0400

Rebecca Officer asked about using an icon to indicate a feature is
different on different products: "I'm prototyping a large manual that covers
a bunch of similar products. Some features are missing from some products,
and some are on all products but behave differently.I'd like to mark both of
these cases these with an icon, to highlight to readers that there are
differences. Just a visual cue that says "this feature isn't the same on all
products!"
Does anyone know if there's an industry-standard icon I should use for this?
I googled but didn't find one.
Rebecca:
The only icon I've seen that might work is a yellow triangle surrounding a
bold exclamation point. I've seen it used instead of the word "Note" to
indicate items that users/readers should pay attention to. I think I'd use
something like that to try and get their attention (and only use it for this
type of information)..
Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ