Re: Organizing a Knowledge Base

Subject: Re: Organizing a Knowledge Base
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 15:25:21 -0800

You have described organization. How can there be an industry standard for that? I don't think there is a way to create a standard. Maybe you can use a use case scenario of sorts. I like to visualize things and I think of unorganized information as a pile of stuff in the middle of a floor in an empty room with compartments for the stuff. The stuff needs to be organized in a way that is logical and meaningful for the people using the stuff.

I would look for what people want to find first and begin there. Like if people look for things based on department or cost center, technology, geography, people, or some or other large category and then set the hierarchy to drill down. I have never seen anything that can be considered a standard for doing this. I just go big to small, like herding sheep by breed, coat, color, age, and gender. Where you begin depends on where you want to end.

On 11/1/2013 12:16 PM, Cardimon, Craig wrote:

You are correct thus far.

FreshDesk offers the option to create your own folders, which the higher-ups have done.

I wanted to know if there was a common-sense industry standard for organizing KBs, should I want to justify any changes I make to the folder structure.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ