Re: Not sure I agree with this

Subject: Re: Not sure I agree with this
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 08:49:04 -0800

On 11/13/2013 10:17 AM, Laura Lemay wrote:

The original article did not claim technical writing was stress-free. It called it one of the top ten least stressful jobs.

...with high pay. There are plenty of low stress jobs with low pay, but even those can be stressful in the right environment. Janitorial work is low stress and low pay because it is routine work with little social interaction and little need for creativity. Janitorial work in a sports arena after a popular and contentious game may be stressful because of the volume and quality of work. Technical writing, like the other jobs in the list, is low stress because there are low risks to personal welfare, welfare of others, professional reputation, and emotional involvement.

The most stressful jobs list by the same contributors was just posted two days ago. Most of these jobs have high emotional or welfare risks.

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-stressful-jobs-in-america-2013-11?op=1

Technical writers are not likely to suffer professional risks like lawsuits and career-ending mistakes, nor are they likely suffer or cause physical injury with their documentation. Some technical writers may be emotionally attached to their work, but if they are so emotional about it that they have stress, then perhaps they should consider a different line of work.

Stress was measured by O*NET, http://www.onetonline.org/.

O*NET provides a description for technical writers, http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/27-3042.00.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ