RE: How to be a good manager

Subject: RE: How to be a good manager
From: "Al Geist" <al -at- geistarts -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 15:31:14 -0500

I've been following this thread and decided to toss in a few comments:

Getting rid of weekly reports may make your staff "happy," but how does that
help you report to your bosses about the status of a project, or the
justification of your staff members? You may need those reports to do your
job and thus help them keep their jobs.

Those reports should be based on the guidelines and deadlines you've
assigned your staff members.

I agree with Gene.....if your staff is not happy with their assignments or
with reporting back to you about the status of the projects they are working
on (and any problems that are encountering), then it might be a good time to
have a talk with them about their continuance with the company. You don't
have to threaten them with "do this or else," but they need to know that you
are now their manager and that you have expectations of them that need to be
met. It's a team effort and the team leader is only as good as all the
members of the team's participation.

I've moved several times from staff to management. One day I was in the
break room with other tech writers complaining about "management's new
ideas." The next day, I was management. I learned that you can still be
friends with your staff members, but your position in the team was to lead
them and not coddle to them. If you don't like weekly reports, fine, but
figure out a way to get the information you need to present to YOUR bosses,
because it may mean your job or one of their jobs. If it means bringing back
the reports, bring them back and explain to your staff why they are needed.
If it disgruntles some and they threaten to leave.....let them go. You are
the manager and not them. Treat your staff with respect and you should have
no problems, but remember that respect is also a two way street.

I always treated my staff with respect, listened to their concerns and
suggestions, and worked with them to ensure projects were completed on time
and to my standards. I very seldom had a problem and often met them after
work for a pint at the pub.

Al Geist-Geist Arts, LLC
Fine Art Photography
Mobile: 231-301-5770
E-mail: al -at- geistarts -dot- com
Website: www.geistarts.com
Blog: www.gooterschmeltz.com
Facebook: Geist Arts
See Also:
Technical Communication, Help, Documentation Management

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used to
create them." (Albert Einstein)

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ