RE: best current books for teaching tech writing?

Subject: RE: best current books for teaching tech writing?
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- ga -dot- com>
To: Laura Lemay <lemay -at- lauralemay -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 16:23:50 -0800

"Style: Lessons in Clarity and Grace" (11th Edition) by Joseph M. Williams.

Not a book on tech writing per se, but a powerful book that will teach him how to be a much better and clearer writer of internal technical material.

In the mid to latter 90's when I dug in to really learn how to write, this was the single most influential contemporary book on writing that I read. It had a big influence on my style. (The one mentioned is the textbook version. There's a trade book version, from U. of Chicago Press, called "Style: Toward Clarity and Grace" -- out of print but not that hard to find. And there are earlier editions of the textbook for rock bottom that are probably just as good. Any way you look at it, this is a phenomenal book.)

Steve