Hosted Help - server specs?

Subject: Hosted Help - server specs?
From: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Technical Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 13:31:04 -0500

I've had several requests from various product managers about moving from
having our Help files built into the product to having our Help and
documentation hosted on a Web site somewhere. I'd love to make this
change, because Release Notes are always changing up to the very last
minute, and then we have to rebuild the installer and run through the QA
test suite again. Decoupling the doc deliver from the builds would have so
many benefits for not just our process, but would allow me to make doc
updates as needed (vs. on the release schedule).

I've got several ideas about how to go about this, but before I head down
to talk to IT about getting server space, I thought I'd tap the collective
brain power of TechWrl and see if there's anything I haven't thought of, or
good advice from the TW brain trust.

Anyone made the move to Hosted docs? Have any lessons learned to share?
Success stories? Horror stories? Stuff you wish you'd done differently?

--
Julie Stickler
http://heratech.wordpress.com/

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ