Re: Coding documentation?

Subject: Re: Coding documentation?
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 14:48:25 +0800 (WST)

Hi Hannah. I see I'm too late to the party, but for the sake of completeness:

The publications I look after have an 8-character identifier like this: cexrrc21

Every one of our products has a 3-letter code, such as CEX. This unique ID is used for more than documentation, for example in the source code library name.

Publication types have a 2-letter code, for example UG (User Guide); RR (Report Reference); GS (Getting Started Guide).

The suffix identifies the version and release of the software and the edition number of the publication. You might expect 321 to indicate "first edition of the publication for V3R2 of the software but (slight complication) we use a letter instead of a number for the version. So a=V1, b=V2, and so on. This is to allow for version numbers > 9. Also, the edition numbers start from zero, so 0=First Edition, 1=Second edition. I don't know why we do that but we do.

So, putting it all together, if CEX is the product code for Cosmos Extender, cexrrc21 would be the:
C osmos Extender (cex)
Report Reference (rr)
V3R2 (c2)
Second Edition (1)

The 'XYZ product' User Guide V11R1 First Edition would be xyzugk10 .

We use Acrobat for reviews, so I call the review drafts something like cexugb31 review 20131214.pdf

Stuart

> I guess it's mainly because the part numbers are randomly assigned and
> I'd rather have something with a little bit of reason to it. And since I have
> the control to make that call, I'm going with it! :) Anyway, I ended up on:
>
> (First two product letters or product initials)(Letter representing kind of
doc)-V(version number of software doc is built for)R(revision number)(year)

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ