RE: [BULK] Re: On the value of glossaries containing terms the audience should already know

Subject: RE: [BULK] Re: On the value of glossaries containing terms the audience should already know
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 12:12:14 -0500

Yah but, was the term "IP" in general use in that context? Or would it have been just among lawyers, if it was?
My audience is supposed to be technical to some extent (they certainly need to know what we mean by IP, to get our product configured...).
My context (and that of my readers) is connecting to the interweebs.

I'm not a business geek, but I've been reading all sections of the newspaper since the 1960s, and I don't recall seeing "IP" until fairly recently, in either context. And I certainly met the Internet Protocol meaning years before I encountered somebody saying "IP" and meaning intellectual property. So, from my perspective, it looks like yet another case of a perfectly respectable business or legal term that didn't start being a widely used initialism or acronym until somebody wanted a buzzword.