Re: decision trees and localization

Subject: Re: decision trees and localization
From: Jim Jones <han4yu3 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Kathleen Johnson <Kathleen -dot- Johnson -at- visionsolutions -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 12:26:24 -0600

Kathleen said ... getting the translated text and having me update the
Visio drawings, but I'm leery of that since I can't read Chinese and won't
know if I've made a mistake. I could ditch all of the Visio created
drawings and move to the nested expandable/collapsible sections, thus
making it part of the content the vendor is already translating, but I
don't like the idea of going ugly just to avoid work or cost. How are you
handling external graphics for localization? Do you just suck it up and pay
for the extra costs? Do you modify your graphics somehow to account for
localization? Does anyone have any creative ideas for presenting decision
trees or anything similar that would be better suited for localization?
Thanks and Happy New Year! ...

Jim continues: Well I am not certain but modern versions of Visio should
allow a person to easily swap out various notation things for localization
purposes.Other than these things, the drawing/structure/other elements
ought to 'translate' easily to the other culture.

I suppose that you could set up underlying templates that have the specific
notations that you need, and you could keep these separate - so that when a
tree has to be changed, the changes will appear correctly in the other
language.

Separately: I would be leery of using Chinese folks who simply work for the
company doing the work of professional translators. My objection does not
really have to do with language knowledge; it has to do with job-specific
knowledge.

Of course if you were talking about Chinese folks in your company who work
for your company's translation division, then by all means...

I 'fix' some horrid translation-related mistakes:

fixer-jim.blogspot.com [scroll down].

Jim Jones linkedin.com/in/jimxlat

DCSA STC 2009

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ