RE: Newer or later?

Subject: RE: Newer or later?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Natalie Cavier <ncavier -at- deanhouston -dot- com>, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 15:48:26 -0500

I use 'or later', and I have no objection to "higher" or "newer", either.

Meanwhile, we are one of those companies that bump previous versions when necessary.
When we bump version 5.3.0 to 5.3.1 we'll often go back and bump (say) 5.2.2 to 5.2.3 for the same fix, if applicable... such as a security fix.
Of course, we don't do that for new features.

On the third hand, if there's good reason to modify a purchased capability upgrade, that also requires a change to the base system that accepts it, we'll often provide updates for various older versions of product so that they too can accept the new version of the capability, and then we only need support a single part number for that capability.