Re: Question from a re-virginized newbie

Subject: Re: Question from a re-virginized newbie
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 10:51:39 -0800

And to add to Robert's insight:

Most smaller companies who ask for "DITA" in a job description really have
no clue what it is, let alone what it's used for. They also want experts in
the DITA domain who can transfer all their existing processes into their
workflow. But it doesn't work that way. Unless the organization and culture
get behind the concept of topic-based single-source authoring, a DITA
implementation will fail.

Kind of similar to Agile methodology. If an organization does not embrace
collaboration and user-based scenarios, they can't claim to be Agile.

For Hannah, I've heard that some of the easy entries are DITA 101 by the
Rockley Group, Practical DITA by Julio Vasquez, and DITA for Practitioners
by Eliot Kimber. But you really need to find what works for you based on
what you already know.

Here's a list of some DITA resources:
http://dita.xml.org/resource-directory

It would be nice to find a version of this list that was scaled toward
level of understanding vs resource format.

-Tony

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 9:38 AM, Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>wrote:

> You'd be unlikely to need DITA skills outside of a large company.
>
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 5:47 AM, Hannah Drake <hannah -at- formulatrix -dot- com>
> wrote:
> > Bee, good point.
> >
> > Actually, I'm relatively new to the field and have seen various articles
> > and discussion on DITA but still can't find a good entry point to begin
> > understand what it is. Does anybody have any recommended resources?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

Doc-To-Help: new website, content widgets, and an output that works on any screen.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/1eRs4NS