Re: Copyright Q

Subject: Re: Copyright Q
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: Damien Braniff <Damien -dot- Braniff -at- asg -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 09:11:22 -0700

Why not offer to publish a book with the society and split the proceeds?

In the US, at least, that's not like copying legally purchased music,
since Congress passed a couple of laws specifically allowing that, the
Audio Home Recording Act and the Fairness in Music Licensing Act.

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 8:00 AM, Damien Braniff <Damien -dot- Braniff -at- asg -dot- com> wrote:
> A friend came to me with a copyright Q and I'm not really sure. so I thought I'd garner some opinions. Situation is this:
>
> My friend is interested in local history and has a copy of every journal published by the local society (over quite a few years) and, as he is currently learning some new tools (FM, Photoshop.), what he's proposing is to re-create the journals as a single book, grouping related articles from different issues, add index etc. While using it to learn the tools he'll be creating a reference which will be purely for his own benefit - not for publication/distribution.
>
> Is this a bit like music - I've bought the CD so putting it on iTunes (or whatever) is fine as long as I'm no circulating it?! Just not sure myself. My initial suggestion was to contact the Society and offer his services for free - he learns and they get a book out of it but he's a little loath to provide it for free!

Doc-To-Help 2014 v1 now available. SharePoint 2013 support, NetHelp enhancements, and more. Read all about it.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/NNcWqS