RE: Using jira for documentation development workflows

Subject: RE: Using jira for documentation development workflows
From: Diane Faris <dfaris -at- sierrawireless -dot- com>
To: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 16:18:12 -0700

I'm also working in a Linux engineering environment where Jira is used. (Maybe there are more of us than we think.) I started out asking developers to put me as a watcher on items that required documentation. That sort of worked, when they remembered, but there were real problems with the workflow. Items were being closed once testing validated them, but more often than not, I was still working on the documentation. It was hard for me to keep track of what was documented and approved and what there was still to do. There was no way for me to track my workflow. Even if items were assigned to me, the workflow categories were a poor fit. I tried using spread sheets, tables, etc. to keep track of what was done and what needed doing, but it was a lot of work to keep that up to date.

Now I have a separate Tech Pubs Jira project, with me as the Administrator. I was able to set my own work flow with meaningful steps. Typically the developer creates a Jira item in my project as part of "checking in" the feature or change to the code. It's nice because the Jiras in the Tech Pubs project tend to be short and to the point. I no longer have to wade through all the developers' comments and discussion to try to figure out what changed. It's also great for tracking documentation items, monitoring my workload, and generate reports for my manager.