RE: Image/screen capture annotations for documentation

Subject: RE: Image/screen capture annotations for documentation
From: "Margaret Cekis" <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: <shawn -at- cohodata -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 15:14:54 -0400

Shawn asked about Image/screen capture annotations for documentation:
"I am looking for advice on finding the best approach to adding annotations
to screen captures or other images. In the past, when I was writing with the
Adobe products (FM, InDesign), annotations were easy because they are
treated as independent vector
overlays.
Unfortunately, MadCap Flare (and MadCap Capture) seems quite inept with
working with annotated images. The main problem (or question) is how do I
ensure a consistent size of the text (i.e. text bubble), regardless of the
size/magnification of a screen capture?"
___________________________
Shawn:
I suggest you look at Snagit by Tech Smith. I've been using it for screen
shots for several years. For a relatively inexpensive program (@ $50), it
has a lot of editing features.

I tend to avoid annotating screenshots, if possible, because several of my
recent projects involved rapidly evolving products that required frequent
image updates. I prefer to use bold arrows to indicate features or fields
that I then discuss in the text about the image.

Snagit will also enable you to downsize a whole directory of images at once,
or to convert all the images in a directory from one format to another.
Check it out at http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.html.
Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l