Re: LinkedIn invitations - accept "unpersonalized" ones ?

Subject: Re: LinkedIn invitations - accept "unpersonalized" ones ?
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 11:08:46 -0700

Yes, Mark, a subset of the connections will be useless. But as one who has
worked trade shows and job fairs, what kind of a return do you get on all
of the printed collateral (e.g., business cards) you distribute? In
pre-Internet marketing, you were considered at the top of your game if you
got a 2% return. As I wrote earlier, I'm careful about connecting with
those who are working professionals within the industries I've worked (and
would like to work), as well as the regions in which I'm interested in
working now or in the future. For example, I don't cultivate connections in
Mid-America (e.g., Iowa), as I'm not interested in ever working or living
there. (An exception to this rule might be an opportunity to connect with
Warren Buffett of Omaha... you get the drift.) I also avoid the obvious
aggressive product/service marketers and those running a sole
proprietorship (e.g., photographer, nail salon owner) who don't meet my
criteria and have little or nothing to offer in the way of networking.

To paraphrase another forum member just wrote, "You never know where your
next assignment is going to come from." It's been my experience that this
is 100% true, and I've had both short-term contracts and multi-year,
full-time gigs come to me in the strangest of ways.

If you want to limit your LinkedIn marketing exposure and lose out on this
most valuable aspect of being a member, by all means do so. But if you are
actively managing your career and are always on the lookout for your next
opportunity, then you might want to take a longer look at all that LinkedIn
can do to help you further your advancement. This includes the numerous
video tutorials they offer, showing you ways to work their system you may
not have previously considered. In Harvey Mackay's vernacular, it's "How To
Swim With the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive."

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l