RE: _"Infographics_-_A_Special_Mode_of_Technical_C ommun ication"

Subject: RE: _"Infographics_-_A_Special_Mode_of_Technical_C ommun ication"
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- ga -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Lin Sims <ljsims -dot- ml -at- gmail -dot- com>, David Artman <david -at- davidartman -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 09:03:52 -0700

I think someone posted an article a while back about how most of the infographics out there seem more like indulgences for artists and illustrators. Packed with whiz-bang graphics but (often) very little info. Even the ones that have a lot of info, from what I've seen, are often overwhelmed by graphics to the point where the message and the info get lost.

And the problem with Tufte-type stuff is that it's beyond the reach of most technical communicators, unless you also happen to be an accomplished illustrator. I did have the opportunity to do one infographic-like project (posted not too long ago) but I had the good fortune of being able to work with an in-house illustrator and that made a huge difference. The project would have gone nowhere if I'd done it on my own.

For me, David comes closest when he talks about Venn diagrams and flowcharts -- and even, on the periphery, Ikea manuals (but less so).

There's a lot that a non-graphic-skilled writer can do with simple shapes in Visio or another basic drawing program, to convey powerful information and complex interplays of concepts in visual form.

I'd love to see examples that the mere humble writer has done. I think they're out there.

Steve