RE: Software documentation that uses effective visual metaphors?

Subject: RE: Software documentation that uses effective visual metaphors?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Lois Patterson <loisrpatterson -at- gmail -dot- com>, techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 16:23:06 -0400

[no-help-at-all 'response' follows]

So, what you are saying is that the designers and developers of the software have stopped short of making an excellent UI, and you-and-your gang are now tasked with bridging the gap by documenting?

Gosh. That _never_ happens around here.... :-)

My experience is that I don't get anywhere near making a good, useful illustration or visual metaphor (not the same, I know, but related) until I have solidified and refined my conceptual and instructional text.

Although... y'know... much like trying to fit a bunch of somehow-related objects and interactions into a table, or into a sensible flow-chart, the exercise of trying can often lead to "aha!" moments that help to refine the text. And, the visual metaphor for THAT could be something showing give-and-take, or it could be a depiction of "circling the drain". Ahem.