RE: Task-based versus UI-based documentation

Subject: RE: Task-based versus UI-based documentation
From: "Sweet, Gregory (HEALTH)" <gregory -dot- sweet -at- health -dot- ny -dot- gov>
To: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- M-S-G -dot- com>, 'TechWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 12:24:06 +0000

Task-based every time. If a customer asks for UI-based we might do a general lay-of-the-land type piece, but otherwise convince the customer why they really want task-based.

We are dealing with a user community that is mandated by law to use our products. A lot of our tools are for use in extreme or emergency situations, and therefore used infrequently. Our users do not want to know what every button or interface element does. And they certainly don't want to read about them all and then figure out from that how to do what they need to do. They want exactly the steps they need to accomplish the task now.

For any of our CBRNE/Severe Weather Event preparedness and response applications used as part of Incident Command Systems (ICS) we create Job Action Sheets (JAS). A JAS succinctly list the steps necessary to complete a specific job. There may be several tasks on one JAS. The idea is that you can take anyone, literally anyone, hand them the JAS and with little or no training, they can be proficient in the job. Since so much of our work is related to ICS most of our documentation ends up looking and feeling like a JAS, even if it happens to be called something else.

Cheers!
Greg