RE: Task-based versus UI-based documentation

Subject: RE: Task-based versus UI-based documentation
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, TechWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 15:05:37 -0400

Agreed. Or to go further, maybe the user is like the casual user of the GIMP, who has a notion what he wants to accomplish, in terms of the image he's creating or modifying, but is searching for tools or menu items that look like they might be a place to start.

A person who had had instruction in the use of GIMP or PhotoShop, seeing me do what I occasionally do with images, would utter (at the very least) a horrified gasp, and would equate my blundering in that tool with somebody doing local/spot/inline formatting instead of using styles in Word. "Pah! You might as well use Paint... you Philistine!" Well yeah, but it doesn't have curve controls for color and such. "But the way you are stomping around, it's only an accident that you ever get anything remotely like what you seek." True, but it's quicker than taking a course every year to do one or two images, and then forgetting for 11 months.

In other words, maybe the user hasn't even started, and would like to figure out where/how to start that won't paint them into a corner three steps from now.

Illustrator is a bit more straightforward, in some ways, to the beginner or the constant-start-over-er, but that's an illusion due to lack of knowledge. Should I mask something first? Create layers? Does it matter if I skew/shear before I rotate, or after? Do I need to set/define anchors before I start, or can I just fudge them when I get through several transformations and realize I need finer control of just this corner right here....? And .... Hey!.... where's the History table that I had in PS? :-)