Re: Document editing PDF vs. Word (Part II)

Subject: Re: Document editing PDF vs. Word (Part II)
From: M -dot- Vina-Baltsas -at- mindray -dot- com
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 14:41:41 -0400

The files we receive from China would be a copy of the source files, so
while the integrity of the files could be compromised, they are not the
final source files. They can be corrected should anything get messed up
during the editing process. I'm not sure how we would verify this without
going page by page, but I'm thinking it might be worth a try.

What other procedure could we use?

How do most others receive edits from different sources?

Michelle Vina-Baltsas

800 MacArthur Blvd.
Mahwah, NJ 07430

Tel: 201.995.8350
m -dot- vina-baltsas -at- mindray -dot- com

STRICTLY PRIVATE & CONFIDENTIAL.This email may contain confidential and
proprietary material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any
review or distribution by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient please contact the sender and delete all copies.

From:
Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To:
M -dot- Vina-Baltsas -at- mindray -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date:
08/18/2014 12:31 PM
Re: Document editing PDF vs. Word

This is a con, not a pro. You should strive at all costs to keep
non-tech writer hands OFF the source documents, whatever file format
they may be.

Word itself is not really all that unstable, but like all authoring
tools, it doesn't provide much (actually, no) protection against what
unskilled hands can bung up if they get access to the source files.
This is exacerbated by the fact that ALL the unskilled hands in your
company probably have Word installed at their desks.

Gene Kim-Eng

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l