RE: Flat files in Flare, vs. DITA in CCMS

Subject: RE: Flat files in Flare, vs. DITA in CCMS
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Robert Lauriston" <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 23:59:35 +0000

Thanks, Robert, this is good. Let me think about that. I think the two aspects you distinguish are both important (the database part and the unstructured part).

Steve

On Friday, September 26, 2014 4:24 PM, Robert Lauriston wrote:

When they say, "A Flat File structure â There is no hidden database,"
they don't mean a structure of flat files, they mean a flat structure of files, that is, topics are just a pool of files in a directory.
That is the definition in this context.

When they say the benefit of that is "Flare projects can be stored locally on your PC or they can be stored on a network drive without fear of database corruption that plagues tools with older architectures," they're talking about RoboHelp, which indeed has a hidden database.

Flare topic files are XHTML. They're unstructured in the DITA sense.

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l