Re: Thoughts on transitioning from one contract to another

Subject: Re: Thoughts on transitioning from one contract to another
From: John G <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
To: Ed <glassnet -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 12:34:14 -0400

If it were me, I'd see what Employer A offered as an hourly rate. If it is
lower than the rate for a similar job, I would request that they match the
higher rate, regardless of your previous rate there. I wouldn't accept
anything lower than my previous rate, and would ask for 20% above that rate
as you will be paying higher taxes as a freelancer than as an employee.

I would not mention anything to Employer B at this time. However, I would
try to find out about the possibility of extending the contract.

A lot depends too on the number of hours Employer A is offering. If there
is any way to work it out that you can do both - for at least as long as
Employer B is willing to keep you going - I'd try that too. If you could
offer A +/-30 hours and B +/-10 hours a week ... that might make it better
for both places as each would be looking at slightly fewer hours ...

My 2Â,

JG