RE: Flare or Frame as an intermediary for migrating to DITA?

Subject: RE: Flare or Frame as an intermediary for migrating to DITA?
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>
To: Scott Turner <quills -at- airmail -dot- net>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 02:58:12 +0000

Thanks, Scott.

Perhaps I should have titled the post "Flare and Frame as intermediaries for migrating to DITA?"

It wasn't really a Frame vs. Flare contest, although that's important to know too, and is legitimately part of the puzzle.

The larger question is, and even assuming Frame is the winner of that contest, how would Frame stack up against, for this purpose, the CCMS editors themselves, whether built-in or external? So for example we'd be talking about Arbortext Editor, Author-it's editor (don't know the name), SDL LiveContent's editor (if built-in), Vasont, Astoria, and the external ones like oXygen XML Editor (or Author) and XMetaL. Maybe also with other systems like easyDITA, Componize, etc.

So I'm really asking, is this "intermediary" solution (Frame in this case, as a "filter") more efficient than just training up your writers in the CCMS's editor and importing-and-converting everything that way?

I haven't been part of a migration yet so I don't know how these different options stack up.

Thanks for anyone's thoughts on this.

Steve

PS - The question may have more to do with, How is unstructured data migrated and converted to DITA? A few jobs ago we had Astoria and XMetaL. I don't remember how the data got into XMetaL (and Astoria) but I do remember editing structured content. We also had some projects in Structured Frame. So if you have an Unstructured Frame doc, for example, is it easier to structure it in Structured Frame first and then export the DITA topic for use in XMetaL and Astoria, or is it easier to simply put it in Astoria, open it from the CCMS in XMetaL, and start putting DITA structure on it? These are the things I don't know. And that's just one example using one set of tools. There's still a lot of research to do, obviously. I just thought someone might have gone down this road before and would have some insights. Thanks again.

On Saturday, October 11, 2014 7:30 PM, Scott Turner [mailto:quills -at- airmail -dot- net] wrote:

>From my stand point, Frame has more advantages, just from the fact that you can use XML and the provided DITA configuration in Frame.

Remember that conversion of Microsoft word can be automated to a high degree in FeameMaker, but it requires that the author of the Word files has religiously used paragraph and character tags in formatting. If they used line formatting you have a manual operation ahead of you.

In all, FrameMaker is easier to manipulate in my estimation, and has greater ease of use when authoring in XML.

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l